TopBand: Skewed propagation, TX RX angles

W2pm@aol.com W2pm@aol.com
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 08:53:43 -0500 (EST)

In  regard to the various theories about skewing on 160 I wonder (and
actually suspect) that the phenomena may be due to multiple propgation modes
which is  very common on the higher bands. Thats what explains the huge 6
meter DX contacts like W2 to ZL.  It seems logical to me - if you look at
what happens in the grey line period you often hear, for example, JA coming
in here on the East Coast a hour and half after the grey line has passed but
if you at where it actually is on screen its about 1000 miles west of both
ends.  Therefore, cant it be that the grey line ducting brings the signal to
the antipode where it is then progagated via "normal" F1/F2 skip??

73 Pete