TopBand: XT2DP Africa Update 160m

Bernie, ZS4TX bernie@marques.co.za
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 14:53:38 +0200

Hi,

I also had a long chat with Dan, XT2DP (after our
SSB 160 QSO!) and
according to him the TS50 goes into CW TX mode as
soon as the key
or just the plug without anything connected to it
is plugged in.

A look at the TS50 manual shows that it may only
be one or two SMD diodes
that could have gone SC.  I am in the process of
sending him a few components
to try and repair the CW facility.  He only has a
12V standard soldering iron so
I hope he will be able to fix it!

He sounds keen to try topband seriously as soon
as he can get the radio fixed
to work on CW.  His new antenna seems to be
working well because he was
about S7 when I worked him and he hears a lot of
DX from Europe.

His QSL manager is WB2YQH if anyone else can
offer additional assistance.

The high static level in South Africa has damped
my topband spirit a bit this
year but I hope to be active around the upcoming
WW contest.

Good luck

Bernie
ZS4TX