TopBand: Skewed propagation, TX RX angles

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:19:53 EST

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:11:46 +0000 w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
writes:
>> To:            topband@contesting.com
>
>> I suspect there are numerous differences based on geography. Skewing
>of
>> the EU stations via Africa is quite common here during disturbed
>> conditions.
>
>You are correct Carl, and I was wrong.

No apology needed Tom, I was not questioning your observations at all.
What you experienced in Ohio and now in Jawja is often totally different
than what goes on in NH which is the only statement I was making.  I am a
lot more affected by the AU zone than many other stations, including
VE1ZZ .

 I was also the first station in the 3 Northern NE states to work JA on
160 and it was several years before conditions allowed others to get
thru. I still can sit here in the mornings and listen to stations under
100 miles away work JA and I will not hear a peep.

To put it into another perspective, I am also still the only station in
the 3 Northern NE states to have worked/confirmed 5BWAZ (that I am aware
of) and that was under the ever vigilant eye of K1MEM....not prior award
managers. It also all took place in the same town.....I dont count zone
or country totals of those who move around the country as meaningful at
all.
Since becoming very active on Weak Signal VHF I have observed a lot more
about disturbed condx and the interaction with 160M. The
instant/continuously upgraded  AU picture on the Web also helps.

73  Carl  KM1H