TopBand: Whose QSX frequency is this?

Bill Tippett btippett@CTC.Net
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 12:45:55 -0500 (EST)

        Here's a lesson for all of us (expeditioners and DXers alike).
I just checked the 5A2A log search on their Web page and got this:

5A2A Log Search Results

The Database contains the following log entries:

     W4ZV is in the log on 160m CW, contact made on 25-Nov-97
     W4ZV is in the log on 160m CW, contact made on 25-Nov-97

Huh????  5A2A is only in my log once, but I was wondering why there was
such a big pileup on P40E who was QSX up 2 when I worked him at 0240!
Then I found 5A2A who was listening on the SAME QSX frequency when I
worked him at 0252.  Apparently 5A2A came back to me when I was working
P40E and put me in his log at 0240 also.  This happens quite often
when working a hot JA opening since many of them often use the same
QSX frequency, and because we do not sign their call...just ours.  This
goes back to Rule #8 in K1ZM's book: "Send the DX station's call if you
are in doubt about whom you are working."  I was not in doubt about
either station when I worked them, but should have signed 5A2A's call to
alert P40E to the fact that they both were using the same QSX frequency!
(Of course I could not have done that when I worked P40E since I had
not yet found 5A2A.)  Isn't it awful when someone steals your QSX
freqeuency!  It's happened to me many times and there's really not a good
way to prevent these accidents from happening!

73,  Bill  W4ZV