TopBand: Autek RF-1 Antenna Analyzer

Ward Silver hwardsil@WOLFENET.com
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 09:24:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, km1h @ juno.com wrote:

> Would a HP or BP filter work or would it  mess up the readings? If it is
> only a single BC station maybe a LC plus Coax tunable stub would help.
> I have often considered the RF-1 but I am LOS to a BC station on 1590KHz
> and several others in a 10 mile radius.
>
> 73   Carl   KM1H

I know the MFJ-259 is pretty well unusable below 7MHz at my QTH due to
strong local BC unless I put in an HPF (Kiwa BC-1).

The only problem with filters is that they usually need something close to
their design termination impedance to have their frequency-responses stay
as-designed.  A highly reactive load or one with an impedance far away
from the filter's expectations will upset it greatly.  A high-Q stub is
much less likely to have the same effect.

73, Ward N0AX

 -
 ---