TopBand: Supplemental Long Radials

Jeffrey Maass jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 17:28:38 -0400 (EDT)

I recall reading some time ago (probably in the early 80's) that adding a
few relatively-long radials to a vertical would result in a pattern
distortion which would cause the pattern to favor that direction a bit.

I've been unable to find that reference.

I currently have 96 radials on the surface of the ground, most 100-feet long
and some 50-feet long, intermixed. I have space to run half-wavelength
radials towards Europe/Africa. Is this likely to be worth the effort if I
want to improve my signal just a little bit?

73,

Jeff Maass       (jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio K8ND
      USPSA/IPSC # L-1192   NROI/CRO          NW of Columbus Ohio
      25000 Members in 2000!