TopBand: Signals penetrate the 9-land Black Hole

Ward Silver hwardsil@WOLFENET.com
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 07:56:10 -0700 (PDT)

> Well... in the spirit of a true Black Hole, signals get in but they don't get
> out
>
> Heard VK3 Sunday morning, then DF2PY last night.... so trans-Atlantic and
> trans-Pacific signals are being heard in Indiana....  still no signals LEAVING
> Indiana on top band...
>
> Mel KJ9C

VK3QI, VK3AJJ, and VK3HZ (?) were all Q-5 here in Seattle on Tuesday
morning, but were not responding even to the mighty signals of K9JF/7 and
N6TR (at least when I heard them).  I heard VK3QI reporting heavy QRN, so
that might be responsible for some of the "signal motel" phenomenon.

I did hear UN5J a couple of times in the past week and that's certainly a
first for me.  No QSO, yet, with 100W.

Conditions have been good, in general.  Who threw the Big Switch to ON?
We even had Europeans coming in on 15-meters for the first time in many
months.

73, Ward N0AX