TopBand: MT report

W7lr@aol.com W7lr@aol.com
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:00:41 -0400 (EDT)

Good signals from VK this morning. Tried to hook up VK6VZ with Wyoming but at
N7NG the power was out, and at NE9Z/7 the phone was out (and packet link from
here to Wyoming was out too).  Heard UN5J with the best signal yet, but he
peaked for only 5 minutes so still no qso.  Later in the season I hear UA0
and YB well, but though they are on now (early Sept) I dont hear them yet.  A
big aid in receiving in the morning is using a big horizontal dipole, 300'
long center fed.  Not matched for tx but often allows reception when the 90'
vertical (for tx) doesnt.  In the evening special rx antennas dont seem to
help - but at this time of year too much static to hear anything but W1 in
the evenings.  Back to the coffee pot.  73 Bob W7LR