TopBand: Front End Saver

Larry Menzel lmenzel@millcomm.com
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 22:57:43 -0600

Guys,

I have bought and built the box, and I am very pleased with its
erformance.  Easy to build, and works silently and is very fast.  My
transmit antenna runs right over my beverage and have never had a problem.
I spoke with Mr. Lewis before buying mine (at the number listed below--it's
correct) and he was very informative and helpful.

he box uses three 5v Reed relays to short the recieve antenna to ground
(assuming you're using the auxilliary antenna input that buypasses the
usual receive path), provides keying for an external amp and connects
easliy to any radio.  The aux antenna input on most modern rigs is
unprotected during transmit, and as such, transmit RF energy can damage the
front end of the rig.

They claim that the box permits qsk operation with non-qsk amps, but I have
not experimented with that.

Larry N0XB
Northfield, MN

Greetings