Re[2]: [AMPS] Re: TopBand: Followup Beverage Box

sears@rell.com sears@rell.com
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 09:59:47 -0500

     Tom, you wrote:

     "Rolling a pre-amp out of discrete components allows the designer to
     add negative feedback to reduce gain, and that
     improves dynamic range and noise figure! Solid State Design for the
     Radio Amateur covers this, as did Ulich Rhode in some of his RF Design
     articles in the late 70's and early 80's."

     One mistake, adding negative feedback (either shunt or series) will
     never improve noise figure. The addition of series feedback will give
     you low frequency stabilization, raise noise figure, and the ability
     to move S11 closer to the optimum Noise Figure match, which will
     improve your input match while trying to source match for Noise
     Figure. Shunt feedback will again improve stability, reduce gain
     depending on the amount of feedback, and raise noise figure depending
     on the amount of feedback.

     Peter
     W5PS