FW: TopBand: Pimping On 160

Doherty, Robert Robert.Doherty@fmr.com
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 09:25:00 -0400

We thought they were called ....LIDSTS  !!!!

73   Whitey K1VV
 ----------
From: Garry & Yelena
To: Topband Reflector
Subject: Re: TopBand: Pimping On 160
Date: Thursday, September 25, 1997 1:09AM

Jeffrey Maass wrote:

> I must have missed something in the five or so years I've been off of
> 160M: since when do people run "list" operations, pimping for DX stations?
>
> As I type this (0345Z), I'm listening to K1VW serve as "listmaster", trying
> get DF2PY to listen for N6TR and a variety of West Coast stations, including
> the provision of "BK" after the Westies transmit.
>
> This wasn't requested by DF2PY. He had high QRN, and couldn't hear any of
> them. He knew which call to listen for, though, because K1VW sent it six
> or seven times.
>
> I guess this is a philosophical question: if so many of us look down our
> noses at "list" operations on other bands, where the operator must be
> "carried" in order to make a QSO, do we see some difference on 160?
>
> 73,
>
> Jeff Maass       (jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio K8ND

Jeff:

Tnx for posting that. I was wondering who the hell was playing traffic
cop--and it turns out to be a friend of mine. I got so pissed off I spun
the dial and went and did something else.

There is one West Coast big gun who is prone to that, too. He's a nice
fellow, but spent too many years helping out on 20m SSB.

John, K1VW: if you are reading this---STOP DOING THAT DISGUSTING
ACTIVITY! IMHO, it ranks with flashing little kids. Please allow us to
work DX ourselves--or fail to do so. No QSO on topband requires
unsolicited "assistance."

Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Visit the Northern California DX Club home page:
http://www.ncdxc.org
 -
 ---
 -