TopBand: recent diary

rattmann rattmann@cts.com
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:07:38 -0700 (PDT)

Sunday, 21:  VQ9 rumors floating around, and grayline looking good. Started
the final mowing of "back 40" before rainy season. Only 100 degrees today.

Monday, 22:  Still 100 degrees. Sheesh. Finished the mowing at sunset.
Miller time. Too dark to put out radials or hook anything up.

Tuesday, 23:  Got an email from VQ9SS... he had worked W2VJN/7! Rolled out
about half the radials for the 160 phased wire verticals, and the feeders.
Chased the black widows out of the switching box.

Wednesday, 24:  Heard N7UA work VQ9ZZ at 1345z.  Too late for San Diego.  No
trace of the VQ9 here, from 1230-1350z. Sunrise is 1338z. Started to finish
the radials before dark but finished after sunset... naturally!  More fun
stumbling around in the dark.

Thursday, 25:  In the receiver at 1230z.  The A and K looked pretty low. The
big Mexican hurricane down south brought us a nice shower starting at
1240z...my noise level plummets! A little munching on 1824 just after
1300z... a VK, I think, working a mystery station.  That you, Pres?  At
1327, more signal... no one called it, so N7UA worked him... smart move,
Bob, it kept Pres interested! I called next--all alone; the ZK1 was
distracting everybody down at 1822 I think. The timing was perfect, an exact
peak over a 3 minute period of my QSO at 1331z. By sunrise at 1339, he was
essentially gone.

Who says six meters is "the magic band"?

73,
Glenn K6NA

 -
 ---