TopBand: K7K

Jim Henderson jhenders@zianet.com
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 14:55:59 +0000

N4KG wrote:

>Wouldn't it be nice if DXpeditioners learned something about
>Low Band Propagation BEFORE going to their destinations?

      We have agreed on this point recently. I will resist forming my
opinion on this trip until the end, but this is such a timely and fertile
thread.

        I can only say that I have often wondered if the emphasis placed on
ever-increasing dxpedition QSO totals has shifted the emphasis from quality
to quantity. DXing the low bands is by it's nature a slower and more
thoughtful art, and an eight-hour shift at the 160m station will not produce
the high QSO count as the same time on, say, 20m. I have yet to achieve 300+
per hour on 160m, and would like to shake the hand of the op that can!

       If you measure your DXpedition success by a new QSO total record, you
go for the numbers.

        Perhaps we could turn the tables and organize a DXpedition where we
do a backside-kickin' job on 160/80/40m, but only show up on the higher
bands for a couple QSOs at the wrong times, and only stay there long enough
to get spotted on the clusters before we QRT.....

73 de Jim
KF7E et al
"May the Flux Be With You."
Jim Henderson