TopBand: Boring Report - K7K

Tree N6TR n6tr@teleport.com
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:31:36 -0700 (PDT)

Well - the baby monitor approach that someone else had mentioned
was used to alert me to the presence of K7K on 160 this morning.
#158 with 1500 watts (keeping up with K1HTV).

I guess I had my receiver slightly on the wrong frequency as it
wasn't picking them up, but enough people were calling within the
passband of my receiver to wake me up.

Took a few calls, but the operator was really doing a great job.
Heard their JA pileup this morning - again very impressive
operating.  Around 13:45 UTC they announced they were giving
up on USA and turned their full attention to the JAs.  They seemed
to alternate between JA and simplex every so often.  They also
said they would be back "tomorrow" for more USA action.

It was interesting to note that they didn't always come back to the
loudest stations at my QTH.

As far as their early departure on 80 the previous morning - I
was unable to find them on any band/mode around that time.  That
would suggest they had a total shutdown as opposed to making
unpopular band selections.

So - what are we going to work next Monday morning??

Tree N6TR

PS: The EU6AF sample, and a few others, are now on my sounds page
(http://www.contesting.com/n6tr/topband).  Even has the extra
dit on the six!
 -
 ---