TopBand: Signals on 1.640 MHz: DFW?

Robert Nickels ranickel@mwci.net
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 21:46:38 +0000

> I was tuning around below 160M for signals with which to test my
> Beverages, and at around 0130Z found a signal at 1.640 MHz that gave departure
> gates for flights to many cities around the US.  <snip>

You're correct Jeff - these are TIS (Traveler's Information Stations)
at DFW Airport and made quite a splash in the BCB DXing community
last spring.  The 1640 and 1680 Khz stations run somewhat more power
(60w) and antenna (50 ft. vertical) than most TIS stations, and have
been logged all over the country.

The Medium Wave DX page has some interesting tidbits at:
http://members.aol.com/rkdx/bcb.html

73, Bob W9RAN
 -
 ---