TopBand: Re: lowband expeditions

Chris R. Burger crb@nanoteq.com
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:27:55 +200

KF7E wrote:
>         Well Chris, neither of these points addresses the thread of knowing
> propagation, which I think is an extremely valid DXpedition requirement for
> any band, and especially the low ones. Tom's comments are still valid, IMHO.

Maybe they do.

Looking at the operator list, there are at least two ops that are
extremely knowledgeable low band operators.  I'm saying that,
regardless of their knowledge of low band propagation, it makes sense
to work down the pileups of close-in stations before you try to work
the marginal openings.

This is true even if you are fully aware that there is a potential
opening!

As for the contention that low banders are a major component of the
DXing world:  Just look at the membership lists on the various DXCCs.
It doesn't take a mathemagician to figure that more people are
chasing pseudo-QSOs in 20 m DX brothels than are prepared to brave
the static on the low bands.

So, let me reiterate:  Give them a day or two to knock down the loud
QRM.  Then let's see if they know their stuff.  Day two or three is a
li'l early (for my uncultured palate, at least) for the kind of
criticism that has already appeared on the Reflector.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ

 -
 ---