TopBand: Re:lowband expeditions

Jim Henderson jhenders@zianet.com
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 13:08:46 +0000

ZS6EZ Wrote:
>I'm saying that,
>regardless of their knowledge of low band propagation, it makes sense
>to work down the pileups of close-in stations before you try to work
>the marginal openings.

       Maybe, maybe not. Where did "marginal openings" enter this thread? I
think we are splitting hairs.

         Right now (1200Z) K7K is alternating between JAs and USA on 160m.
The op knows the what the grayline is doing in NA and is using it. When the
condix to NA are gone, I suspect he also knows there will be several more
hours to "work the close-in stations". When the pile works down a bit, he
goes back for some more JAs. It sounds to me like he is not working the
close in (JA) at the expense of the propagation, as I interpret your
suggestion. Rather, he is using prop to his (and our!) advantage, and the
doing it in superior fashion, IMHO.

>It doesn't take a mathemagician to figure that more people are
>chasing pseudo-QSOs in 20 m DX brothels than are prepared to brave
>the static on the low bands.

        From the sounds of the 160 pile alone (and 80CW is still going
strong), I would guestimate that opinion is extremely arguable, but I like
that similie!

> Day two or three is a
>li'l early (for my uncultured palate, at least) for the kind of
>criticism that has already appeared on the Reflector.

        Well, Chris, I'll have to re-read my mail; I don't think I have seen
any personal or direct criticism of the K7K guys. In fact I have seen
several comments of praise, in which I am agreement. If my comments here
were offensive, then I heartily apologise to you or whomever has taken
offense.  The ideas I have expressed are generalities aimed at raising the
level of expertise among us all, experienced or aspiring DXpeditioner, shack
potato, and yes, even the lowly patron of the "DX Brothel"...

        I'll leave this thread with my summation: The more complete an
understanding of propagation you have, the more fully you can exploit what
Mother Nature hands you for conditions, and the more capable you become as a
DXer--from home or DX Shangri-La. Further, I believe anyone headed out on
the DXpedition trail is much better prepared to serve their own interests,
as well as the pileups', by knowing this subject well BEFORE they leave home.

        BTW, anyone planning a trip to Shangri-La, please look for me up 5,
I still need it... :-)

73 and ...-.- on this one
de Jim, KF7E
Jim Henderson