TopBand: EWEs

Nick Hall-Patch Nick_Hall-Patch@bc.sympatico.ca
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 07:39:23 -0800 (PST)

  The reason why I ask is this issue
>of poor ground vs good ground relative to apparent ham band performance.  The
>way I understand the Beverage  antenna theory is poor ground is required to
>cause a tilting of the inbound wave in order to induce a voltage on the wire.
>This was based on the fact that the Beverage's were intended for LF and VLF
>reception (600 meters and down) where the incoming wave incidence is nearly
>vertical.  On 160 and higher the incoming waves are at higher angles so thats
>where I fail to understand why ground conductivity would have much affect on
>performance at 160 meters.

Good point, Pete.  My version of your reasoning was behind my decision
(some years back) to run a long low wire of 600 metres from headland to
headland on the Pacific coast even though nearly half of it was over salt
water.  It did hear good medium wave DX, even with the tops of waves
clipping it occasionally.  Of course, I didn't have another wire of similar
length running over poor ground with which to compare it, so this is
strictly anecdotal, but the antenna certainly worked in spite of the
presence of an excellent ground underneath a good portion of it.

Nick  VE7DXR

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, B.C.
Canada