TopBand: 160m usage

Tom Frenaye frenaye@pcnet.com
Wed, 8 Apr 98 20:46:43 EST

What percentage of ARRL members use 160m?

Thought this would be interesting to Topband users.  The ARRL recently had a
survey conducted of League members by Readex.  The margin of error is +/-
3.6% with 95% confidence (from 748 usable responses).

Frequencies Used

 2m	83%
20m	67
40m	65
10m	56
80m	54
15m	49
440 mhz	38
17m	28
30m	20
12m	19
 6m	18
160m	18
220 mhz	11
902 mhz	 3
1240mhz	 3
>1300mhz 1

18% means about 27K ARRL members - far higher than I would have figured.
The summary above was part of a summary of findings recently reported to
advertisers - I'm sure you'll see a summary of the results in QST as well.

Broken down a little further:

Question asked:  How often do you operate on (or listen to) the following
bands? (160)

regularly 	 5%   - about 7500, which seems about right to me
occasionally	14%
seldom		21%
never		40%
no answer	21%

Of course ARRL members are only about 25% of all USA hams and weighted
towards the "higher" license classes.  The totals probably do represent a
significant majority of active HF operators, and less so on the VHF/UHF end.

			73 Tom

E-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444