TopBand:What Is Bad SMD Devices or MMICs?

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Thu, 09 Apr 1998 14:58:14 EDT

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:03:07 -0600 "James R. Duffey" <ji3m@maxwell.com>
writes:
>I am somewhat confused by this thread.

Yep...

the
>surface mount packaging that deteriotes intermodulation performance. I
>don't see why the mounting package type, SMD, should determine the
>intermodulation performance at all. Several devices are available in
>both
>conventional packages and SMDs.

You are missing about a years worth of discussion so confusion is
understood.
I equate SMD to mean "tiny" and generally something developed for the VHF
to Microwave bands. This includes such things as a 9:1 transformer as
used in one offering.
Rather than repeat myself and Toms comments from last year I suggest that
you access the archives. The administrator will be glad to assist you.

The 2N5109 CATV transistor is a known fine performer as is the U-310 JFET
for preamp use but any good Beverage does not need a preamp anyway.
Loops, EWE's and other lossy antennas can benefit from a preamp.

73  Carl  KM1H

.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]