TopBand: Elevated Radials Test #1

CQ K8DO CQK8DO@aol.com
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:50:39 EDT

Carl.....How far away from the antenna and in what direction in comparison to
the receive antenna is the second set of elevated radials?  How long is the
wire connecting the two sets of "radials"?
The thought here  is that the floating set of radials is forming a horizontal
array with the transmit radials to enhance the groundwave in the direction of
the receive site.... The mechanism could be either parasitic coupling between
the two separated radial arrays, or the line connecting them may be a phasing
line.... When doing my experiments upon elevated radials I connected them as
dipole pairs and resonated them at 1775 kc... I happened to listen across the
band with them and they heard quite well, indicating that they would transmit
quite well (high angle of course)...

Next, the 150' on the ground is way too long.... Due to ground proximity the
resonant length of the radials will be roughly (very) 80% of length when
elevated and driven as  dipole pairs.... These long radials will introduce
considerable reactance back to the feed point

Denny