TopBand: Linear loading

Eric Gustafson Courtesy Account n7cl@mmsi.com
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 07:42:32 -0700

>Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:24:44 +0100
>From: Dave_K9NX <n7ex@athenet.net>
>
>At 05:09 AM 4/11/98 -0500, George A Gallarno wrote:
>>I am looking at using linear loaded elements on a 1/4 wave 160m
>>vertical with loaded radials as well.
>
><snip>
>
>>will multiple radials on only one side of the vertical provide
>>any meaningful gain in that direction on a low 160m antenna.
>
>Pattern distortion yes  ......... "meaingful gain" not likely.
>
> Dave
>K9NX

Dave is quite right.

Unless the radials are extremely long (longer than 1/4 wave), or
are themselves radiating (and therefore acting as antenna, not
ground), there is not likely even to be observable pattern
distortion.

In the case you describe, with all the radials in one direction,
the radials would likely be doing some radiating.  So they
probably will produce some pattern distortion.

73, Eric  N7CL