TopBand: 9A2OO REAL TOPBAND ANTENNA

Goran Grubisic grongo@st.tel.hr
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:13:52 +0100

QAA01574
Sender: owner-topband@contesting.com

I feel that the strange Croatian station with a sloper at 5 m mentioned
before in this
reflector by K0HA was me, hi.
Actually, my half sloper is fed at the level of third floor, about 9 meters
high, sloping
down to a fig tree tied at about 1,5 m above ground (constant problem with the
curious kids, hi). So 5 meteres should be an average height of the wire.
Wire is extended into 310 degrees direction, but some 50-100 meters apart raises
a sort of hill covering from 290 to 20 degrees (hilltop is some 10 m higher
than my
rooftop).
Besides K0HA, I managed to work VE1ZZ, WW2Y, W1FJ, W4MYA and K1KI in
CQWW160 CW.
I would not reccomend this kind of antenna to anyone, but if you have no other
choice,be sure it will be fantastic.It works fine for Europe, but if you
want to reach
something further than 3.000 km, you must arm yourself with gallons of patience.
Just to say, that morning I was calling Bill for over 20 minutes. Thanks to
heaven,
there were no many stations in theband that morning, otherwise Bill would never
realize how good my antenna really was.
Of coarse, if you are a bit stubborn, you can do some fine scores. Personally, I
like very much my score from the latest IARU 160 M contest with over 290
contacts
made with a barefoot transceiver within 14 hours of operation.
Finally, I hope to receive a card from K0HA to confirm my first USA contact
ever.

Enjoy the topband guys!

73 de Gogo-9A2OO