TopBand: A bit more on propagtion

Earl W Cunningham k6se@juno.com
Thu, 06 Aug 1998 11:28:02 EDT

Hi, Bob,

Your messages about Topband propagation were most enlightening.

We've all experienced those rare occasions with long-haul DX on Topband
where signal strengths were as if it were 10-meters with a sunspot number
of 200+.  Over the years, I recall ZS and VK signals of S-9 + 30 dB on
160m.  Last December 28th, Europe was booming into the USA west coast an
hour before sunset and throughout the night, with some Eu stations 20 to
30 over S9.  My signal was reported to be heard in the UK at noon their
local time that day.

Is there an explanation to such rare instances of this superb
propagation?  Whatever, such occasions certainly make the sleepless,
noisy, and fruitless other times spent listening on Topband worth the
effort, hi.

73, de Earl, K6SE

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]