No subject

charles lewis charles_lewis@BENG.VOA.GOV
Mon, 31 Aug 98 11:19:10 EST

     I read with interest the web site comments on grounds for 160M.  Those
     with limited space for a ground system or who cannot bury wires should
     not despair of operating on 160M.

     As S92SS in Sao Tome I had a very small yard, much of which was under
     concrete.  After much hounding by the 160 meter crowd I gave it a try
     and was successful in making many hundreds of contacts all around the
     globe using around 350 watts and an antenna that most topbanders would
     find laughable. The 1/4 wavelength radiator had only about a 35'
     vertical run from the 6 1/2' high feed point and then took off in
     various directions horizontally and vertically to make up the resonant
     length. The ground system was only four 55' long wires bent to fit and
     elevated on the average no more than 8'!! These were tied together and
     resonated as a system with an inductor.  The feed was isolated with a
     common mode choke, so this four wire system was definitely the only
     directly connected ground reference.  I had access to a commercial
     Potomac Instruments calibrated field intensity meter receiver and was
     able to make meaningful measurements at a distance.  I don't recall
     the actual figures, but I found the signal strength at one kilometer
     to be respectable under the circumstances when compared with estimates
     of what a 90 degree commercial broadcast style antenna should have
     given.

     I must admit that one major advantage I had over the average topbander
     was  L O C A T I O N!

     Charles Lewis
     ex S92SS & A22AA
     Now SV0LM in NE Greece