TopBand: electric fence noise

Earl W Cunningham k6se@juno.com
Mon, 07 Dec 1998 21:51:23 EST

When I first moved to this QTH, which is zoned "light agriculture" (I
grow antennas), I had to track down a number of electric fence noises.
They still pop up on occasion.  Here's what I've found to be the problem
(all producing arcs):

1) The electric fence wire became dislodged at a point where it was close
to, or touching a regular fence wire.

2) Vegetation (grass, bushes, etc.) had grown long enough where it was
touching the hot wire.

3) An insulator had failed and a carbon path across the insulator
provided a permanent path for the arc.

4) A splice in the wire was arcing, apparently due to corrsion at the
splice.

To locate the bad fences, I would drive around the neighborhood with the
car radio tuned to an unused spot near 1600 kHz.  When the noise gets
louder, you know you're headed in the right direction.  A small portable
AM transistor radio can help also as a direction finder, with its
built-in ferrite rod antenna.

The offending fence will usually be within a mile distant, however I
found one once that was about three miles away.  I figure the fence wire
must've be near resonance on 160m to radiate that well, hi.

Searching for the noise after dark can be helpful in pinpointing the
source because you'll be able to see the blue arc.

Once found, use tact and diplomacy with the fence's owner.

73, de Earl, K6SE

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]