TopBand: RADIALS

james danehy w9vne@fuse.net
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 22:01:11 -0500

I have read quite a number of emails over the months in which a radial
system is described as having a very limited number of 130 foot radials.
The number of 1/4 wave radials indicated vary from a low of 4 to an
increasing number less than 10 radials. I have questioned the wisdom of
making such few radials a full 130 feet (1/4 wave). A few years ago I
put down 50 radials none of which were more than 40 feet in length. My
inverted L is a 1/4 wave long or ~133 feet. The 2 to 1  SWR points is
about 60 khz. This antenna works quite well for me. It took me 100 days
to work 100 countries. Maximum power is 500 watts. THE ISSUE I raise is
whether it is prudent to deploy shorter radials but more of them as I
have or to use 1/4 wave but use only 7 to 10. I cut the grass extremely
short and laid the radials on top of the grass. When my grass grew again
the insulated wire ( #18) was covered and has been buried for a couple
of years. I am about to cut my grass for the last time this season and
to  put down more radials over the system already installed. I can place
another 50 radials of 35 to 40 feet over what I have or I can add more
and make them 100 feet in two directions ( 180 degrees apart) but would
only be adding 20 radials in each of two directions. I would appreciate
hearing the wisdom of this list.

One final ISSUE. My inverted L goes up 55 feet and then the horizontal
part is 76 feet all of which is the same height above ground. I have the
ability to add another 50 feet to the horizontal part. I hear of
installations with an "extended" 1/4 wave and adjusted to  1 to 1 swr
with a capacitor at the feed point. My interest is mostly in working DX
and would prefer to configure my L to maximize it for DX work. Any
comment on keeping it 1/4 wave versus an "extension".

Your comments and advice are appreciated.

Jim, W9VNE
Cincinnati
Ohio U S A