TopBand: Normal/Abnormal Conditions

Bill Hohnstein KØHA k0ha@navix.net
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 02:56:03 -0800

Had something resembling normal conditions on the topband for the
first time in a long time from Nebraska--a sunrise EU peak!
A better (or only) earlier peak has been typical this season.
UT7IM, UY8LL, UT5BA, SV2AVP, SV1AOZ, JW5NM, etc. had fair to good
signals from 0440 - 0600z.  All were peaking with the normal phased
parallel 40º Beverage settings (several were unreadable with a
single Beverage).
By 0645 conditions changed--other than a couple of G's, most
Europeans were better with phased 40º + 8º or 84º Beverages.  I kept
trying single Beverages--the pair was always provided better copy
with proper phasing...  It made things slow to find the right
combination.  KH6AT, ZL2JR, and ZL4WA complicated things by having me
try my phased parallel 268º Beverages as well as other combinations
of other Beverages.  G3PQA was the last European at 0810z...
Hopefully the change in paths is not a sign of worse things to come.

73,  Bill     KØHA

.