TopBand: the s-word

Carl K9LA k9la@gte.net
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 07:13:35 -0800

Oh, no, Mr. Bill! The S-word!

I agree it’s tempting to tie STRATWARMS to our DXing on 160m, but two
years of IV3PRK’s log data to North America during STRATWARM months
didn’t really show any correlation.  He worked us when there weren’t any
STRATWARMS reported, and he worked us equally well when there were
STRATWARMS reported.  It sure looks like there is another variable
running around in there that needs discovery.

I think everyone agrees that this season on 160m so far has not been as
good as the previous seasons.  My log certainly confirms that (and I
think my ZF2LA single band 160m effrot in CQ WW CW hints at that, too).
Could that be due to STRATWARMS?  Well, the 10 year historical STRATWARM
data says they’ve never been reported before about mid-December.  That
kind of says STRATWARMS haven’t been the culprit so far.

Regardless, let’s keep our minds open and see what develops.  Maybe I
should up my weekly offering at church!!

Carl K9LA