TopBand: 160m Propagation/observation

Steve Ireland sire@omen.com.au
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 14:13:17 +0800

It has been fascinating to read the various observations on 160m propagation
this season, especially when read in conjunction with the insight offered by
Bob Brown, NM7M.  Thanks for you contributions, Bob - I really wish I had
your knowledge and understanding of MF and HF propagation.

When I was a young bloke and my VHF friends used to kid me about being
interested in the boring old DC topband, I just used to take it on the chin.
My feeling these days is that VHF propagation is kindergarten stuff compared
to working out MF long distance propagation - I reckon I could give those
guys heaps now!

Apologies to Bob, but I am going to throw in one of those anecdotal
observations about 160m propagation.  They are indeed dangerous - but also
fun and sometimes useful, I think.

Although the current 160m DX season has also been something of a
disappointment down here, numbers of long distance openings wise, there has
been one interesting phenomenon occur - the audibility of signals from the
Caribean and Central America.

Up until this year, I had never even heard a Caribbean station, but this
season (around VK6 sunset) has produced VP5/WA2VYA (running 100W to a low
dipole!) and 6Y5/K2KW.  Only a few days ago, Mike VK6HD heard HR1LW at the
latter's sunrise - Mike's only Central American contact in 18 years of
consistent 160m operation had been TI4CF.  I have never heard a single
Central American station on 160m - not even Carlos!

Why these things are happening, I don't know, but they sure make life
interesting.  If I am still interested in 160m during the next solar cycle,
I will surely make a note to check for Caribbean stations at around my
sunset at this stage of the cycle.  With these kind of surprises, I don't
mind if this season has been a bit 'poorer' than the previous ones!

One of the major things I have learnt from Mike VK6HD is the power of
observation and being sure to record times/dates when unusual openings take
place.  It is very interesting to talk to highly skilled operators like Mike
and see how many times unusual openings do re-occur at similar stages during
solar cycles.  We may not be able to understand what is going on, but we can
record it and see if it happens again... and maybe work some more new
countries!!!!!

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ