TopBand: Down Under in the Stew Perry 1998

Steve Ireland sire@omen.com.au
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 08:26:24 +0800

Terrible conditions and an uphill battle best describes the view of the 1998
Stew Perry from here.

The first night brought only two North American QSOs, in the shape of K7RAT
and N6RO (although I think I heard NI6T and W7AWA for a few seconds), plus a
handful of Europeans at sunrise (RW2, EK6, HA, G and OH).  At best, signals
were only S4 - S5.

The second evening, conditions into North America were even more dismal than
the first night and the only NA contact (I think!) was a VERY scratchy one
with W8JI at 1238Z.  Luckily, there was at least reasonable propagation into
JA, with 25 log entries, plus a couple of Pacific stations - KH2/K4SXT and
3D2DK - and stalwart Brett VR97BG.

A special thanks to the blokes in JA who supported the contest well.  When I
had propagation, there appeared to be a lot of activity in the JA 'window'.

Let's hope for better conditions next year.  I guess they could not be worse!

Vy 73 es HNY to all,

Steve, VK6VZ