TopBand: Stew Perry Contest

Josep Josep" <ea6acc@tinn.net
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 19:46:52 -0000

>0400? Saw DJ7AA spots, no copy

In our local CQ Magazine the rules said the use of packet-cluster was not
alowed, was it right or wrong...?
I specially like the grid report exchange and punctuation system, because
that way you have to work hard sometimes to get the precious grid, not
leaving the station go till you get it right, and final score looks "more"
real than all of those "millions" in other contests.
The band sounded to me less crowded than last yearīs edition, there were
lots of places where you can start calling, apparently without making QRM to
anybody.
I gave up on the first night around 2352z, when I have already worked every
station I could hear there. Second day, and due to Holidays duties, I woke
up
very late,
and could only work some 25 stations before my sunrise, (0712z), 20 of them
were US and 1 VE. Longest
DX was AA0RS, DN70, thought. Copied no JA at all. Did 105 Qīs and about
81 grids, donīt know my final score yet.
Estimated operation time was around 9 hours. Apologies to those I could not
get out of the noise, I do my best, as I know my RX antennas do aswell, but
we are not perfect. Thereīre occasions I can hear better than in the Stew,
other times worse, thought that was the challenge, fighting against wx condx
(storms...), low propagation periods, particular situations, etc.....The
ability in receiving is a "cocktail" of all of that, I think.

Tx: Kenwood TS680s, PA 500W
Ant: 25m Top Loaded Vertical
Rx ants: EWEs

HNY to everybody,