TopBand: Trap needs for vertical & inverted L antennas

George Guerin George.Guerin@kellogg.com
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:19:10 -0500

     Fellow Topbanders,

     The Battle Creek Lowbanders have received requests to build traps for
     a few fairly rare DX stations.  They want to put up 2 or 3 band
     inverted Ls and wire verticals over a good set of ground radials.

     We have some insulators and some ceramic capacitors and also some
     marine grade RG8X for coaxial traps for the 400 to 600 watt fellows,
     but there are a number of countries now allowing 1000+ watts on top
     band.  We cannot, with good reliability, build coaxial traps on PVC
     forms, as they soften from the inductive heating, eventually failing
     in the "heat of battle".

     Bottom line:  we need some coil stock to build 40 and 80 meter traps
     for the 160 meter antennas.  Does anyone have 2-1/2 or 3 inch coil
     stock at 6 turns per inch they can donate?  Does anyone have a source
     like the old airdux or B&W coil stock?

     If so, we can help get better signals on the air from some fairly rare
     places.  These are stations that would all be in the top 150 countries
     needed on any band.

     Thanks,    73,     George     K8GG