TopBand: BC "Trapper" Trap Design (Long!)

George Guerin George.Guerin@kellogg.com
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 15:22:34 -0500

     Hi Jeff & the rest of the Top-banders

     Jeff did a nice write up here.  Yes, 5X4F had one for a while and left
     it with ON6TT for use in other African countries.

     One thing we did instead of GE Silicone sealant was to use "Plastidip"
     tool handle coating as a sealant.  It can be thinned with mineral
     spirits or T.E.R.P.S.  It comes in colors and clear.  We used mostly
     black for UV resistance, clear where we didn't want to cover the PVC
     caps.  If your parts and hands are clean it truly helps the Plastidip
     or Silicone bond to the coax and PVC.  (no oils, no dust).

     The Battle Creek Special group still supplies a 2:1 or 2.25.1 UnUn for
     160 operation, where the impedance of the inverted L is about 25 ohms.

     The best reference for trap theory is from QST, Dec 84, pp 37-42,
     "Optimizing Coaxial-Cable Traps" by Robert C. Sommer, N4UU.

     Other articles are in October 81 HR and May 81 QST.   Charlie, W0CD
     and I just reviewed them last night.

     For John, ON4UN, this write up from Jeff would be good material for
     your revised Low Band DXing book.

     73  all    George  K8GG