TopBand: Follow-up on Topband Receiver Survey

Bill Tippett btippett@CTC.Net
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 07:32:40 -0500 (EST)

Earl and others,

        I have also noticed some clicks and spurs on FT-1000MP's
during the CQ 160 contest and during casual DX listening.  Since I
am now also using an MP, I would be interested to know if any have
noticed bad clicks or spurs from my signal?  Nobody complained
during the contest and I've always prided myself on having a clean
signal (my TS-930 sometimes even got compliments during SSB contests!).

        Numerous radios are notorious for poor transmitted signals.
I have learned to recognize a Kenwood TS-940 by its phase noise and
the Drake TR-7 by its characteristic clicks.  It's always delicate to
try to tell someone that they have a serious problem with their radio,
but if there is a design problem with the MP, we really need to inform
Yaesu since clicks are so much more of a problem on 160 than any of the
other bands.

        Could part of the problem be the use of QSK?  I never use QSK
because of relay reliability issues, but I have also sometimes seen
problems with radios whose PLL's unlock especially when operating split.
You can often observe this when locals are calling JA's with a >100 kHz
split.

        Anyway, I would personally like to know how my CW sounded during
the contest and will not be offended to know the truth!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV