TopBand: Removing insulation on magnet wire

Charlie Summers w0yg@prolynx.com
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:19:30 -0000

Thanks to everyone who submitted suggestions on removing the baked enamel
insulation on magnet wire when trying to install a toroid.  Apparently a
flame will take the insulation off.  So will a compound called Strip-X from
GC Electronics.  One of the most inventive solutions was submitted by
YO3CTK, Mike:

>Hi Charlie,

>Have you tried to use an Aspirin tablet ? I'm not joking ! Just press
>the end of the wire with your hot soldering iron against an Aspirin
>tablet. Be prepared for some nasty fumes, though. The enamel will peel
>off the wire. After that, clean the wire and be sure to use a resin core
>solder to tin the end of the wire, because the burnt residue is
>corrosive.

>Please let me know if the operation will be a success.

>73 de Mike, YO3CTK

Again, thanks to everyone who replied.

73,

Charlie, W0YG..>>