TopBand: DXCC Success

Jim Fenstermaker, K9JF jfenster@pacifier.com
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:01:36 -0800

Hello Topbanders,

It's hard to believe I've been doing this particular form of madness for
just 3 years.  Following some fairly lethargic operating on 160 (maybe
10-13 countries worked from 1987-1995, I got started by working VP8SGP in
Jan. 1995.  The bug bit and have been trying ever since.

Just received cards from 9Y4H (thanks Glenn) and BY1QH (thanks Marv) which
make exactly 100 countries confirmed and, of course, DXCC on TOPBAND.  All
of this from Washington State where propagation isn't exactly the best!  To
top it off, worked 9M0C yesterday morning for #114.

I am totally impressed by the ability to get QSLs from fellow topbanders.
The oldest card outstanding is from ZK1XXP with KH7K close by.  Expect
these will come soon.

Thanks to my old high school classmate K9UWA for the continuous prodding to
get on the band as well as my military buddy and partner from DL5JF in the
1972 ARRL SSB DX Test, K1ZM.  With guys like these  pushing me to get on
the band, how could I go wrong.   Since Tree N6TR lives in my immediate
area, another mentor now exists.  Finally, ON4UN's Low Band DXing book as
well as his visit two years ago was also an inspiration.

The thrill of working Europe on 160 equals my first attempts at DXing in
1960 as well as finally working SU1EE on 80 for 5BWAZ.  Thanks to all of
you for the encouragement and patience as I struggled with the antennas,
beverages, and the damnable noise.  As NI6T says, It is an obsession!!!  CU
on TOPBAND.

73,
Jim K9JF/7
Vancouver, WA