TopBand: 9M9C in NM, again

Milt Jensen, N5IA miltj@aepnet.com
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 14:54:29 -0700

Good morning again, topbanders.  Still no joy from NM.  Missed a real good
chance as his signal was 559 for 30 minutes or so, with one peak to 579 at
1320.
No QRN today, and the QSB was slow but not real deep.  Here is what I
logged as I listened and called.

1256 -- calling CQ, listening up
1301 -- calling CQ
1303 -- calling CQ
1305 -- calling CQ
1306 -- QRZ
1307 -- Q with N6ND; 449/559
1310 -- QRZ
1313 -- He gave a 449 to some station, partial call.  Many returned.  I
never         heard the Q completed.
1314 -- RR to some station
1316 -- QRZ to some partial call
1317 -- Q with W0YG; 449/559
1319 -- Contact with some station.  He was in a fade.
1322 -- QRZ
1323 -- He gave a 449 to some station, partial call.  Many returned.  I did
not         hear the Q completed.
1325 -- CQ
1327 -- QRZ
1328 -- He gave a 449 to some station, partial call.
1329 -- QRZ
1330 -- At this time his signal began fadin drastically.
1331 -- He gave 449, possibly to KH6AT.  Very poor copy.
1332 -- QRZ

And that's it folks.  I never heard another dit from him after that.  It is
now 1355 and all stations have ceased calling him.  Oh well, it was fun.
Compared with yesterday, today was an 8 vs a 3.  I was surprised to hear
that good a signal from them.  Maybe tommorrow morning.  73 and good luck
de Milt, N5IA

Well, I was just about to send this message when he came on at 1401 and
called CQ again.  He is barely 449, as it is sun up here in SW NM.  I and
many others calling him.  CQ again at 1403, listening 27.  No joy.  Fading
fast.  He QRZed at 1406.  QRZ a W6 at 1407.  QRZ again at 1409.  229 now at
1411, and I really cannot copy anything but random letters.  Hasta la
vista, de N5IA

And this is at 2150.  My ISP had mail problems this morning.  I just
returned from church meetings and will try to send this message again.   73
all.