TopBand: EWE details for 9M0C

Bill Tippett btippett@CTC.Net
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 18:24:38 -0500 (EST)

9M0C pilots and others that can get word to Spratly guys,

        Here are the details of an EWE:
|                 50 feet long                          |
|                                                       |
|                                                       |
| 10 feet high     <-----  max signal                   |
|                          min signal ----->            |
|                                                       |
9:1 xfmr to 50 ohm coax input                  1200 ohm termination
Ground rod                                          Ground rod

Since this antenna acts like short phased verticals, it will
play quite well near salt water (unlike a Beverage).  If they
have materials for Beverages, it should be quite simple to put
EWE's up since they use the same transformers, wire, resistors,
etc.  However, the EWE REJECTS signals in the direction of
the termination, which is just the opposite of a Beverage.  In
the diagram above, signals from the left are maximized and from
the right are minimized.  A preamp will be required since the
output is very low but hopefully they took preamps with them.

As I said in my original note to Don G3XTT, they could probably
do quite well with 3 directions.  NE (EU, Central/Mid Asia, East Coast NA
skew path), NW (NA direct path, JA) and South (NA long paths at both
local sunrise and sunset).

Hope this helps and that you can get word to them!

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV