TopBand: Re: DXpeditions

T A RUSSELL n4kg@juno.com
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 21:49:50 -0600

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998 16:14:01 -0000 jcnunes@bes.pt (Jose Carlos Nunes
(DME-Telemarketing)) writes:

>K6UR wrote:
>
>"How about topband ops taking along a list of fellow topbander big
>guns?
>9M0C hears w8.. w8.i, he looks on the list, see's W8JI then starts
>asking W8JI? W8JI comes back with r..r.....rrrr.... and qso's made...
>Hey why not? This band is tough enough with poor condx and QRN, etc"
>
>Ron
>
>Please don't take me wrong but I read your messages 3 times to make
>sure
>you are serious.  What you are talking about is:
>
>guessing
>ESP
>(in the contesting world we sometimes call it) cheating.

	NOT  NECESSARILY.   (See Below  ...N4KG)

>For god sake how can you log a station as W8JI if all you hear is W8.i

Yes, BUT, if you KNOW the call, it  IS possible to CONFIRM that call,
even if you cannot determine it without prior knowledge.  That is a
BIG difference.  Most of us use this same technique to verify that the
DX we are listening to is the same as the callsign on the packet screen
or the DX bulletin.  No difference.

de  Tom  N4KG

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]