TopBand: Big JA Sigs

Nick Hall-Patch Nick_Hall-Patch@bc.sympatico.ca
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 08:37:26 -0800 (PST)

Interesting propagation note from KL7Y.  Down here in Victoria, B.C., my
signal strength recording program showed a signal on 1548 kHz peaking 8 dB
over an 80 minute period centered on 1110 UTC on the same date, 20 February.

I thought this was likely to be broadcaster 4QD in Emerald, Queensland,
unusual this past winter, but there are no East Asian stations of any note
on that channel.  Were any west coast N. Americans working any 160 DX at
that time, and if so, was it JA or VK?

best wishes,

Nick VE7DXR

>Got on the band a little before 1200Z.  WOW, the JA sigs were aswesome.
>JA1HQT was an honest 599+20 and there were a couple of others just as loud.
>Even the little guys were S9 or better.  Heard many stations in the eastern
>half of the US working the JAs with excellent signal reports.  After about a
>1/2 hour the JAs started dropping and soon were down to S5.
Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, B.C.
Canada

e-mail:  Nick_Hall-Patch@bc.sympatico.ca