TopBand: 14 JAN 98 3DA0CA 160 report

Chris R. Burger crb@nanoteq.com
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 08:06:15 +200

>From 3DA0CA:

 Woke up this morning and started transmitting and the SWR was high.  Though
the heavy rain was the cause... not.  The dipole had snapped in the night
and was down again!  DRAT  160 is a lot of work.

I have been using the #14 hard drawn wire Bob, W4DR, sent out for my C91CO
operation.  Shouldn't that be strong enough to hold up with out being
supported in the center?  Perhaps I had a crimp in the wire in which case it
would have weakened it.  Then again, two swinging gum trees causes the
center insulator to ride up and down at least 8 feet and when these big
gusts of wind come by...

In any case I am off again until I can get to the other end and patch it.
It is raining heavy and I don't have the time.  No promises when I will be
back up.  Look for me on 80 (had a quiet night into EU last night) as that's
where I will hang out from about 1800 to 2000 until I get the 160 dipole up
again.

73...jon 3da0ca

PS:  I have recommended some kind of elastic attachment (e.g.
bungee).  Will advise when he's on again.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ