TopBand: Re: thoughts on Beverage Performance

Dave_K9NX n7ex@athenet.net
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:40:20 +0000

At 03:34 PM 1/26/98 +0800, you wrote:

>(PS The bev doesn't it work half so well in its theoretical best direction
>of west - i.e. USA on the SP after sunset.  Any ideas?)

1st idea: USA signals may not be coming in from the direction you think
they are! The only way to tell would be to have a couple more beverages
NE/SW , NW/SE and N/S and then switch back and forth. Signals on 160 very
often come "crooked path"  especially on the longer paths, (Short path to
the USA from VK6 is  still a pretty long haul)  So few of us have the real
estate to put up enough truly directional antennas to really know where the
signals are coming from.

2nd Idea: If the beverage is too close to your other antenna sysyetms or
the power lines it may be coupling into one of these and thus destroying
some of the pattern.

3rd idea: Arrival angle maybe a  factor as well. Some folks have reported
in the past that large low horizontal loops out perform their Beverages on
certain nights in certain directions. The next night its the other way
around.

I think the answer is lots of space , lots of wire and diversity switching.
 Oh yeah...and a big dash of LUCK ~8^)

>PPS as a station outside of the USA, the Stew Perry works far better for me
>as a contest - better times, date and scoring system!  I love the CQ 160,
>but...please, please can we overhaul the rules/scoring?..

As a station INSIDE the USA I couldn't agree more!!!! Is ANYONE at  CQ
Listening??????

Dave
K9NX
..