TopBand: Top loaded vertical or Tee for 160

George Guerin George.Guerin@kellogg.com
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:10:55 -0400

     To K9UWA, ON4UN and Other Topbanders:

     In the past there have been discussions on the effectiveness of top

     One school of thought says the effect of one or two horizontal wires
     is the same, so that an inverted L or a Tee antenna has the same
     end of top loading wire(s), and to shorten the top loading, three or
     more wires are needed at the top of the vertical element.

     Another school of thought says using two wires provides more top
     inverted L horizontal top wire, and adding more top loading wires
     will simulate a solid disc, which may make the length of each top

     Over this past weekend W8UVZ, W0CD and I did some work on a top
     loaded wire vertical element as part of a multi-element array for
     160 meters.  We thought we should share the dimensional information
     for future reference.

     The Tee element is part of a cantenary wire from the top of a 126.5
     foot tall tower to a ground anchor 247.5 feet away.  The feed point
     for the wire is 67.5 feet from the tower.  The tower is insulated
     at the base, and is guyed with Philystran (r) to avoid extra metal
     in the near field.

     We started with a 78 foot vertical wire connected to the center of
     a 96 foot long Tee top loading wire.  Both are made of 3/16
     galvanized EHS guy wire.  The approximate resonant frequency was
     1465 Khz, with a feed point impedance of about 26 ohms.

     After twice trimming the top loading wire of this Tee element we
     ended up with the same vertical wire, 78 feet high, and the Tee top
     wire 67 feet long.  Since it is part of a cable from the top of a
     tower to a ground anchor, it is tilted about 33 degrees from
     horizontal.

     The ground system is 120 radials as much as 210 feet long on the
     outside perimeter of the array under construction.  The interior
     radials all tie to buss wires and radials from future element feed
     points.

     The resonant frequency is 1811 khz with Z ant = 30.8 + 0j ohms.

     Note: the Tee top length is about two feet longer than a computer
     model that seems to agree with the second school mentioned above.

     Incidentally, the tower fed against ground comes in at 1811 or 1812
     Khz, with base insulators one foot above ground, and 125.5 feet actual
     height of Rohn 25G from feed point to top of the plate on the top
     section.

     Hope this is of interest.

     George, K8GG for W8UVZ and W0CD.

     PS, my home modem took a hit, so I am sending this from the office.