TopBand: Beverages close to xmt

Merv Schweigert k9fd@htc.net
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 21:50:33 -0600

Interesting  the replies to Johns comments about spacing
beverages away from the transmit antenna.
I have the same experience as his, any beverage that runs
in any proximity to the transmit vertical is influenced by it.
I am able to ground the transmit vertical feedline when not
in use and it is audible on the beverages when it switchs..
the noise drops on the beverages, and interesting also is
the directional capabilites change also.
I have noise from power lines a mile or so away, and at times
local power line noise, so its very apparent when the noise
level changes.
I wonder if the people that have no problems with the beverages
running close to the transmit antenna have a low noise location.
If there is no noise being picked up on the vertical to speak of,
then it would be very hard to discern any change in the beverage
performance.
On some of my beverages as I ground and unground the vertical
I can actually hear the signal strength change on the DX station.
By the way my "vertical" is a tower with raised radials, the radials
going to the coax center conductor and the shield to the tower..
The N4KG method.
Maybe a setup with radials in or on the ground works better
with beverages ?..
Just me experience here.  73 Merv K9FD