TopBand: Re: [3830] KZ5MM CQ-160 SSB Alligator Explanation!

Chuck dietz@texas.net
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 06:06:27 -0600

Hi John,

Well, I only had the problem when there was static charging.  When I convert
the antenna to a 1/4 wave sloper on the same tower, there is no coupling.  By
the way, the nearest point on the beverage is about 200 feet from the transmit
antenna and the transmit antenna is to the "side" of the beverage.

At least the problem is solved.  Thanks for the pointers.  I had tried to use
the ground return to fire a relay at the termination end to switch the
terminating resistor in and out, but the ground resistance was so great It
would have taken a thousand volts to switch!  That is with 8' ground rods at
each end.  Fortunately I will be able to build another beverage in the opposite
direction.  (At least as soon as this round of poison ivey heals!)

Chuck, KZ5MM