TopBand: Elevated GP vs. Vertical Antennas

K3BU K3BU@aol.com
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 00:37:39 EST

In a message dated 98-03-16 20:46:41 EST, N7CL writes:

<<
 I'm glad to see that we're finally causing the discussion to be
 steered in what I think is the right direction.  That is what can
 PRACTICALLY be done by an amateur at his existing site.  >>

I think it is more like: what should we do to get RF going in the best
direction (horizontal and vertical) so it produces maximum signal on the other
side. This involves propagation properties between two points of interest. For
contester it means far and near, for DXer mostly far.
    I will emphasize that generally (prevailing) propagation on lower bands
goes with higher angles and not necessarily at 1 deg. above horizon. Yes,
there are hams in the valleys that have to shoot over 20 deg horizon. Lat
contest from VE1ZZ when I had Inv Vee at 70 ft and 4 square L-vertical array,
I was able to crack the "one way afternoon" Europeans with Inv Vee almost two
hours before the 4 square was heard. (verticals have ocean of radials under
them and sitting at the ocean shore on a small hill) Before the contest, when
I raised the possibility of those early signals coming at high angles, I was
accused of being nut!  Well... I ended up with more stations in the log, and
the accusers with egg in the face. The morale is: it is not always as they say
in the textbooks. (they change often).
    My observation is that what is measured and accepted in BC style tests and
measurements, may not be what we hams want and do. Figures measured at 0 deg
mile away, might not be representative of what is at 35.7 deg. at 8000 miles
away.
    Please no flames, I promise to have very soon two identical test sites
with various antennas and A - B tests with real stations overseas (over
various condx and .....).  I still like loops.
    I will be back at VE1ZZ for WPX SSB and will try to do some more testing
with antennas.

73  Yuri VE3BMV/1, K3BU/m