TopBand: elevated radials versus ground mounted radials

Steve Ireland sire@omen.com.au
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 06:33:33 +0800

Dear Eric (and Carl),

I really enjoyed your piece - it was the most enlightening piece I have read
about ground systems in my entire time on this reflector. Phil K5PC's
response was similarly thought-provoking.

Please guys, don't take discussions about 160m antennas and principles off
the topband reflector.  I have only room for one radio obsession in my life
(160m) and time for one reflector - my feeling is lots of other people are
in the same boat.

As a result of the discussions, I will resurrect my 160m attempts with
verticals and mount 4 elevated radials above my miniature Doty-type ground
screen (100' square perimeter wire, with 50 radials inside it like spokes on
a wheel, mounted 8' above the ground).  I will keep the two systems apart
RF-connection-wise and see what happens...

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998 17:14:28 -0700 Eric Gustafson Courtesy Account
<n7cl@sparx.mmsi.com> writes:

>			     NOTICE!
>
>Long boring technical discussion to follow.  Do not read if you
>don't care about ground systems.

SNIP

Eric, thank you for a most thoughtful response. I would rather wait for
the new Antenna/Technical reflector to be activated in order to discuss
this and further my education. That should happen very soon.

73  Carl  KM1H