TopBand: Elevated Radials

Dave Raymond-CSUS04 Dave_Raymond-CSUS04@email.mot.com
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:58:06 -0600

Denny:

My experience exactly.

At our local contest station here in Iowa, we have access to a number of
160 meter antennas including a 4 square, inverted vees @120'-150', and
various sloping dipoles (most of which are at about 40 degree angles).
When you get out past 2000 miles or so, it's no contest. . . the 4
square virtually always wins.  There are occasions when one of the other
antennas works better, but it's rare.  Frequently, the 4 sq will even
beat the other antennas for stateside stuff.  The other antennas,
however, are still useful for stateside contests and sometimes work well
for the Caribbean.   For Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Pacific, the 4 sq
will win 95% (or more) of the time.

73. . . Dave
W0FLS