TopBand: Fwd: echo

K1ZM K1ZM@aol.com
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:28:15 EST

--part0_890429296_boundary

>From NL7Z!

This is neat stuff!

Tks Kevin for sharing it!

73 Jeff K1ZM@aol.com

--part0_890429296_boundary

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:50:15 -0900 (AKST)
To: K1ZM <K1ZM@aol.com>
From: Kevin Forster NL7Z <nl7z@alaska.net>
Subject: echo

>(Kevin - at what times did you work these other guys?  Was it at their
sunrise
>times also?   Or were these qso's soon after our QSO?  In other words, when
>did this event start and end for you?  Were all of us at our sunrise times?
>Can you pse give us a list of your log?)
>3) If it WAS multilayer illumination, do you have any idea why the signal
>would PEAK from another distinct DIRECTION very much away from the DIRECT NW
>path, eg: normal heading?
>
>Jeff, here is an extract from my log - feel  free to repost to the
reflector if you want.
One interesting thing here - as iI was logging these in my new logging
program I put "foot notes"
in each entry - I did not notice this pattern until I extracted these qso.

1: It was a sure thing that the louder the signal - the more echo it had
i.e.:you were s-2 clg cq with some echo , I then called you and you switched
around and came up to a s-6 with ALOT more echo enough that I had trouble
with the report.

2: WV3B was maybe an s-1 but more like an s-0 with almost NO ECHO!

Let us assume it was long path indeed. Only the stations with enough
power/ant/takeoff would be able to send a signal long path right? (maybe)
and those stations with 100w and a dipole (WV3B, K2WI)? do not have enough
(ya know) to make a L.P. trip. Just an idea.....

                                        The Log  NL7Z 03/20/98 160m
10:14 VE1ZZ 559 MUCH ECHO

10:20 VE3DO 559-579 MORE ECHO

10:24 W8JI 579-599 SO MUCH ECHO I BLOW HIS CALL SEVERAL TIMES!

10:26 W7EKM 599 IN WA. MODERATE ECHO BUT NOT LIKE W8JI

10:40 KIZM S-3 CQ'ING SOME ECHO
10:41 K1ZM NOW S-7 A ALOT OF ECHO TROUBLE GETTING RST!

10:42 K2WI S-2 NOT MUCH ECHO

10:58 W3BGN S-2/S-3 NOT MICH ECHO

11:04 WV3B S-0/S-1 NO ECHO

11:06 5W0VD NO ECHO

   I hope this helps

                        If 160 sounded like that all the time I think I
would go crazy crazy crazy crazy.....   ad nauseium...

                                                                Kevin  NL7Z

--part0_890429296_boundary--